Since its founding in 1885, Springfield College has been dedicated to its unique philosophy of Humanics, which is the basis of the institution's mission--education of the whole person in spirit, mind, and body for leadership in service to humanity.
This century-long commitment is evident in all aspects of academic and cocurricular life and guides the professional and personal development of our students, who graduate and enter careers in which they assume responsible roles in the human-helping professions. In the classroom, the humanics approach translates to a careful balance of theory and practice.
I invite you to examine our diverse undergraduate and graduate programs. We offer a comprehensive selection of courses, research, fieldwork, and service-learning opportunities that assure our students become well-prepared and strategically positioned to compete for careers in their chosen professions.
Through this site:
- See our state-of-the-art facilities that provide an outstanding learning environment and advanced equipment to fully develop the skills needed in today's and tomorrow's professional fields.
- Explore our cocurricular programs, including athletics, an integrated and integral component of the College's total curriculum. The athletic tradition at Springfield College is firmly rooted in the concept that sports are educational and help to develop the student's whole being.
- Student-athletes and all students, more than 85 percent of whom participate in intramural sports, learn life lessons through sport participation, becoming leaders and role models. The College enjoys outstanding success in Division III competition, producing many of the top players and coaches in New England and nationally.
- Learn about Springfield College's historic connections to the YMCA, the Olympic Movement, and basketball. The College is known as The Birthplace of Basketball ®, since it was here that faculty member Dr. James Naismith, class of 1891, invented the sport in that same year.
- Seek information about campus activities and special events.
I believe you will enjoy exploring our website. It has been developed to convey the essence and tradition of our unique institution. I hope your website visit will entice you to visit us in person and, if you are not a member already, perhaps to join the Springfield College community in the near future.