SOAR 2013(Summer Orientation, Advising, and Registration)
June SOAR and other information for First-Year Students
What is SOAR?
SOAR is a one-day advising and registration program for incoming first-year* students. SOAR also includes orientation activities for parents and guardians.
When can I attend?
Students have two choices of dates to attend: a primary date based on their major (listed below) or Friday, June 21 -- an alternate date for all majors. The program is the same on either day.
What is the day like?
SOAR begins with check-in at 8 a.m. The morning sessions for students begin at 8:30 a.m. and include a math assessment, group activities, and an introduction to the major. Afternoon sessions for students include an introduction to student life at Springfield College and advising and registration. Morning activities for parents and guardians include sessions on financial aid and the student's major; afternoon sessions include introductions to academic and student services. The program concludes at 5 p.m., and will be followed by an optional barbecue.
More information about SOAR, including how to RSVP, will be sent to students in early May. In the meantime, if you have questions about your attendance day, contact Cathy Hughes at the Academic Advising Center (413-748-3379 or email@example.com). If you have general questions about the program, contact Diane Carignan in the Dean of Students Office (413-748-3922 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
SOAR Dates and Majors:
Monday, June 10
- Exploratory Studies
Wednesday, June 12
- Athletic Training
- Athletic Training/Doctorate in Physical Therapy
- Health Science - Occupational Therapy
- Health Science - Pre-Physical Therapy/DPT
- Nutritional Sciences
Friday, June 14
- American Studies and AMST/Elementary and Special Education
- Biology and Biology/Secondary Education
- Communications/Sports Journalism
- Computer and Information Sciences
- Criminal Justice
- Elementary and/or Special Education
- English, English/Secondary Education, and English/Elementary and Special Education
- History and History/Secondary Education
- Mathematics and Math/Secondary Education
- Mathematics and Computer Technology and MACT/Elementary and Special Education
- Psychology and Psychology/Early Childhood Education
- Sports Biology
- Youth Development
Monday, June 17
- Art and Art/Education
- Art Therapy and Art Therapy/Art Education
- Business Management
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Computer Graphics/Digital Arts
- Emergency Medical Services Management
- Health Science - General Studies
- Health Science - Pre-Physician Assistant/ Master's in Physician Assistant
- Health Services Administration
- Rehabilitation and Disability Studies
Wednesday, June 19
- Applied Exercise Science
- Health Studies and Health Studies/Health Education
- Movement and Sports Studies and MOST/Physical Education
- MOST/Physical Education and Health Education
- Recreation Management
- Sport Management
Friday, June 21 – Alternate day for all majors* Transfer students are invited to attend Transfer SOAR on Thursday, August 8. More information about Transfer SOAR will be sent in early July.