Information about the Emerging Leaders Program at Springfield College
The Springfield College Emerging Leaders Program assumes the following:
- Every student has the potential to be a leader and that the skills necessary to lead can be learned. This learning is not an end in itself; rather, leadership development is an ongoing process.
- The skills developed through participation in the Emerging Leaders Program impact all aspects of students' lives and have application now and in the future.
- Inherent in the concept of leadership development is the art of being a follower. Students will gain an understanding of and appreciation for the fluidity of leading and following and will practice both.
- The Emerging Leaders Program complements classroom learning and provides students with experiential opportunities to develop and practice leadership skills.
The Springfield College Emerging Leaders Program has the following purposes:
- To increase self-awareness through values clarification, exploring personal ethics and belief systems, and identifying personal strengths
- To develop a greater understanding and acceptance of cultural diversity and to increase awareness, understanding and appreciation for perspectives, experiences and values different from one’s own
- To introduce students to leadership concepts and theories
- To develop skills and competencies needed as a leader or active participant in a group process
The Springfield College Emerging Leaders Program is designed to:
- Utilize a comprehensive approach, combining both experiential and theoretical presentation techniques
- Incorporate the expertise of faculty and staff members in presentation to further out-of-class and out-of-office relationships with students
- Include opportunities for peer instruction and mentoring
- Incorporate purposeful, structured reflection time into the program to deepen the connection between past experience and new knowledge
The Springfield College Emerging Leaders Program enables students to:
- Strengthen their connection to the College and their peers
- Communicate their ideas and values effectively
- Identify and utilize resources effectively
- Develop a greater understanding of themselves in relation to others
- Build a foundation of interpersonal and leadership skills
- Broaden their awareness and appreciation of differences
Living in a Community
- Participants in the Emerging Leaders Program will live in a community with other program participants within in a coed first-year student residence hall. This serves to provide students with the opportunity to build relationships and reflect on their experiences with other members of the program. Additionally, living in this community aids in the development of further connection to Springfield College and peers by providing opportunities for communication and reflection.