Springfield College Assistant Professor of Exercise Science and Sport Studies Leads Psych Team at Hartford Marathon
Springfield College Assistant Professor of Exercise Science and Sport Studies Jasmin Hutchinson, PhD, along with doctor of psychology students Dolores Christensen and Erica Beachy, will lead a psychology team that will be available to participants of the Hartford Marathon on Saturday, Oct. 12.
The team is designed to be available to half marathon and marathon runners on race day. The group will be available at the start and finish lines, as well as throughout the course, to provide brief short psychology interventions, support, and encouragement for participants.
“This is really a unique collaboration between multiple programs at Springfield College,” said Hutchinson. “It’s a strong commitment by the students to volunteer their time at the race and gain some valuable experience. The establishment of the team has been met with great enthusiasm and our members are thrilled to be able to apply their skills and knowledge to benefit the community.”
Seventeen Springfield College athletic counseling students from the psychology program and 10 Springfield College sport psychology students from the exercise science and sport studies program will be available at the race expo on Thursday, Oct. 10, and Friday, Oct. 11, to assist runners with reviewing goals, quelling last minute nerves, and providing cognitive skills that runners can utilize during the race.
The Hartford Marathon is one of the largest races in New England. Thousands of runners will participate in the 20th anniversary of the competitive this year. The course will once again be divided into both a full marathon (26-mile route) and half marathon (13-mile route).
- Springfield College Center for Wellness Education and Research Welcomed Renowned Nutritional Journalist to Campus
- Springfield College Communications/Sports Journalism Program Host 15th Anniversary Celebration
- Springfield College Hosts NIRSA Regional Flag Football Championships
- Springfield College Center for Wellness Education and Research Sponsors Alumni College Event Focused on Childhood Obesity
- Springfield College School of Social Work to Host Open House Nov. 13