Requirements for Graduate (Post-Baccalaureate) Educator Preparation Programs (Teaching and Counseling)
Requirements for Admission:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.50
- Transcript review (teaching licensure programs only)
- Commitment to the field of education as demonstrated by past experience, essays, interviews and/or reference letters
- Demonstration of other measures of academic and/or professional achievement required by individual programs (e.g. GRE score, MTEL score, transcript review, professional experience)
- Submission of Educator Preparation Program registration form to the Educator Preparation Office.
Standards for Practicum Placement:
- Completion of all prerequisites defined for specific program (may be in process)
- Continuance of a minimum 3.00 cumulative grade point average for all graduate courses taken (Minimum of 2.75 average for all undergraduate prerequisite courses taken at SC)
- Passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills Tests and the appropriate subject test (where one is required) of the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL)
- Demonstration of the personal characteristics needed to become an educator. (e.g. responsibility, dependability, perseverance, professionalism, and commitment to the field of education)
- Recommendation for practicum placement by the appropriate department
- Completion of all required coursework
- Demonstration, through a performance assessment, of subject matter knowledge requirements (where appropriate) and the professional standards for the license sought.
- Attainment of recommendation for licensure from a supervising practitioner and program supervisor.
NOTE: Students are responsible for applying for their Springfield College degree and for their Massachusetts educator license.