*Note: Guest patrons may only check out two videos and/or DVDs at one time.
Springfield College students, faculty, and staff have borrowing privileges. An SC ID is required to check out items.
Alumni, guests, and retired SC employees can register for borrowing privileges at the library Information Desk. More information about eligible guest borrowers can be found on our guest policy page. All alumni and guests may only check out material physically located at the library.
Springfield College students, faculty, and staff may renew SC-owned items online, via Ask the Library (submit your name, ID#, and the item you'd like to renew), by phone, or in person. Overdue items may not be renewed online.
Guests and alumni may renew items by phone or in person.
Items that have been placed on hold by another patron and reserve items may not be renewed and must be returned to the library.
If you find an item you want in the online catalog but it is checked out, we can hold it for you when it comes in.
Students, faculty, and staff at the Springfield campus may place holds in the online catalog. When viewing the item in the online catalog, click the Place a Hold link to sign in and request the hold.
Students, faculty, and staff at the regional campuses may request items using the interlibrary loan request forms and the items will be delivered to them.
Guests and alumni may place holds by phone or in person.
Babson Library does not charge fines for overdue materials, but borrowers may be responsible for paying the replacement costs for items that are not returned. Borrowers' accounts will be blocked until the items are returned or the replacement costs are paid.
Springfield College borrowers will receive overdue notices in their College email accounts. Alumni and guest borrowers will receive notices by mail. Please notify the library if your mailing address has changed.
All borrowers are fully responsible for the timely return or renewal of the library items charged to their account, whether they receive an overdue notice or not.
If borrowed items are kept over one borrowing period past their due dates, the borrower's account will be blocked. For example, a DVD due on March 18th that is kept past March 25th, will trigger a blocked account.
Blocked accounts may not check out or renew items, submit requests for items, or place holds on items. They may check out library-only reserve items.
Blocks may be removed by returning billed, undamaged items within 90 days of billing, OR pay the replacement charges, OR provide proof of payment from the Springfield College Business Office.
Items are Billed when they are kept one borrowing period past their due dates. For example, a DVD due on March 18th that is kept past March 25th will be billed.
Billing charges will reflect the actual cost for replacing the item(s) whenever possible. If the actual cost cannot be determined, items will be billed at the following default rates:
- Theses, dissertations, out of print books, etc. – $50.00
- Older videos/DVDs and other multimedia – $100.00
- Interlibrary Loan items from other schools – $100.00
Refund for replacement charges on billed Babson Library items will be given for a period of 90 days after billing if the item(s) is returned undamaged.
Refund for replacement charges on items from other libraries will be given at the discretion of the lending library for a period of 90 days after billing.
Charges may be waived for SC students if:
- They borrowed Babson Library materials on behalf of a faculty member using their own student account. Faculty member must return Lost item(s) and email Diane Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org to request replacement charges be waived on student’s behalf.
- They lost library materials due to theft of item(s), book bag, vehicle. etc. Student must have filed a report with college, municipal, or state police. A copy of the police report is required to obtain a credit waiver.
Faculty may request an extended borrowing period when they check a video out. Any extension is at the discretion of Library staff.
Faculty may request an advance booking on any video to reserve it for a particular class time. Faculty must submit their request 10 days before the video is needed.
Springfield Campus Faculty: Contact Diane Walsh at email@example.com. Videos will be held at the Library's Information Desk.
Regional Campus Faculty: Contact Lynn Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Videos will be shipped to your campus before the requested date.
Notes on Advance Booking:
- First Come/First Served: Multiple faculty members wishing to borrow the same video will have their requests processed in the order in which their requests have been received by the Public Services staff.
- Privacy: Confidentiality is maintained, even if the faculty members are from the same department or the student is in the faculty member's class. Public Services staff shall act as intermediary between the borrower and the requester.
- Recalls: The recall of a video will be initiated only after the current borrower has completed their full 7-day borrowing period, or if the video is overdue. Public Services staff shall act as intermediary between the borrower and the requester in negotiating the return of the requested item.