Mission & History
The mission of Babson Library is to provide the Springfield College community with access to, instruction in and support of the use of, information resources for the greater purpose of the College.
The Springfield College library collection originated in the late 1800s, when Jacob T. Bowne donated his personal library of books related to YMCA history to the young College. One of Bowne's students, John W. Cook began the campaign to create a true library for the College. Edward Lippincott Tilton, who designed the U.S. Immigrant Station on Ellis Island as well as the main branch of the Springfield City Library and Museums, designed Marsh Memorial Library which currently houses the offices of the College President. William Howard Taft dedicated Marsh Memorial Library on October 18, 1913.
The collection of materials housed in the library grew steadily for years, until finally, the pressing need for a larger space was acknowledged. Babson Library opened in 1972 and was named for its benefactors, Dr. Paul T. and Mrs. Edith Babson of Boston. Babson Library now houses both Library and Information Technology Services allowing students seamless use of a variety of information resources. The top two floors of the building are dedicated to study areas and book stacks. The main floor holds a variety of resources including all public and reference service areas. The lower floor contains the main computer lab, three computer classrooms, language lab, and offices.
For more information about the mission and history of Babson Library, contact the Director's Office (413-748-3609) or the College Archives (413-748-3309).