Class of 1964 - May 2014
TOP 13 THINGS the CLASS OF '64 NEEDS TO REMEMBER FOR OUR 50th REUNION
- Save the Date – June 5-8, 2014 – If you can’t come for the entire weekend, please stop by for part of it.
- Remember to make your hotel reservations. Call the Springfield Marriott at 413-781-7111 by May 14 with your major credit card. Be sure to mention the Springfield College Class of ’64 Reunion when making your reservation.
- Our class graduated from Springfield College during an integral period in the history of the United States. Martin Luther King's visit to our Alma Mater, commencement speech to our class and honorary degree were significant. Learn more about the part his visit played in the context of history. Our class is sponsoring a special panel discussion, “Memories of the Class of 1964: The commencement speech of Martin Luther King Jr.” Friday afternoon. It will feature classmates and be moderated by SC faculty member professor Martin Dobrow who is a Martin Luther King Jr. historian and in the process of writing a book on Dr. King.
- Friday morning the College is hosting a golf tournament. The Class of ‘64 will have a special tournament within the tournament. A 9 hole competition is being arranged for us so we may play golf with classmates and be able to return to campus in time for the above mentioned panel. Classmates may of course register for the full 18 hole experience if they so wish. To register for either golf experience, check the appropriate box on the Reunion registration brochure (which will arrive at your home shortly).
- A StoryCorps booth is being hosted by Professor Dobrow both Friday and Saturday afternoons. This will allow classmates an opportunity to be interviewed for 15 minute segments about our life and times as students at Springfield and about the impact our SC experience has had on us as we have evolved. The interviews will be videoed and CDs will be made for us and for the College archives.
- Friday evening we will have class tables set aside for us at the POPULAR Casino Royale Gala, where we will gamble the night away with our Doggett dollars, dance to music from the 60s and purchase wonderful SC souvenirs from the Doggett Casino Store.
- Saturday Morning we will be inducted into the Golden Triangle Society during a breakfast celebration for our class at President Cooper's home. (Please watch your mail for a special invitation to this event.)
- Saturday evening before our dinner, the College is hosting a special reception in the College Museum. College President Dr. Mary-Beth Cooper will be on hand to make a special toast to our class.
- After our Saturday dinner on Campus the Alumni Relations Office has arranged a private after dinner social for us at the Sheraton Hotel which adjoins the Marriott where we are all staying.
- Sunday we will say goodbye at the farewell brunch back on campus. The brunch is compliments of Springfield College.
- The Alumni Relations staff is putting together “Reflection” books for us. If you have not had a chance to return your “Reflections” form to the college, please do so. (If you require another copy of the form, please call Alumni Relations at 413-748-3161.)
- A detailed registration brochure will be arriving at your home shortly. It will feature events being offered to all alumni attending reunion. The StoryCorps both, champagne toast and Saturday post dinner reception do not require registration. Times and locations of those will be available at check in on campus in the Richard B. Flynn Campus Union.
- Your attendance will make our 50th Reunion special. Please COME HOME!