Laura M. Maggio Faculty Profile
Laura M. MaggioProfessor of Psychology
BS, St. Bonaventure University
MA, Miami University
PhD, Miami University
Licensed Psychologist and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Clinical and Research Interests:
Her research interests include collaborative and narrative therapies, expressive writing, chronic illness and collaborative processes in teaching.
- Doctoral Practicum
- Supervision and Consultation
- Counseling Practicum
- Advanced Counseling Practicum
- Family Therapy
- Dream Interpretation
- “Expressive Writing and Lupus, (2010). Presentation at “Practices That Create Meanningful Conversations in Education, Community and Therapy Contexts,” the annual conference of the Salem Center for Therapy, Training and Research.
- Maggio, L. (2007). Externalizing lupus: A therapist/patient’s challenge. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 38, 576-581.
- “An Electronic Text for Introduction to Marriage and Family Therapy,” (2005). Poster presentation at the International Family Therapy/American Family Therapy Academy Conference. Washington, D.C.
- “Teaching Family Therapy with Technology: The Development of an Electronic Textbook for Introduction to Marriage and Family Therapy.”(2003). Presentation at the 2003 National Conference on Family Relations Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC.
- “Using Toolbook to Assist Students in Family Therapy Courses,” (2002).Presentation at the Cooperating Colleges of Greater Springfield Faculty Development Program, Holyoke, MA.
- Maggio, L. M. (2001). Editor, Special Section: Teaching family therapy in the new millennium: Politics, practices and possibilities. Journal of Systemic Therapies 20(1).
- Maggio, L., Chenail, R. & Todd, T. (2001). Teaching family therapy in an electronic age. Journal of Systemic Therapies 20(1), 12-23.
- Maggio, L.M., Marcotte, M., Perry, J. & Truax, D. (2001). Student perspectives on family therapy training. Journal of Systemic Therapies 20(1), 36-44.
- Bloomquist, D. W.; Collins, L. H.; Vadum, A.C.; Ranking, N. D. & Maggio, L. M. (1994). “Innovative clinical and computer application for the classroom,” Presentation at New England Psychological Association; 34th Annual Meeting.
- Maggio, L. M. (1993). Michael White’s model of reauthoring and resistance to change. MPA Quarterly, Winter 1993.
- Maggio, L. M. (1991). Constructivist approaches to family therapy supervision and training. Paper presented at the Northeast Regional Conference of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, Newport, Rhode Island.
- Maggio, L. M. (1989). Application of systemic therapy to mental health administration. Paper presented at the First World Family Therapy Congress, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
- Maggio, L. M., Salky, N., Peterson, M., Cannon, H., & Levcoff, J. (1987). Reflections on reflecting teams. Paper presented at the Presenter’s Conference on Structural, Strategic and Systemic Family Therapy, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Maggio, L. M. (1986). Application of systems theory to community health. Colloquium presented at Antioch/New England Graduate School, Keene, NH.
- Maggio, L. M. (1985). Crisis intervention: Theory and practice. Two day workshop for graduate students at Antioch/New England Graduate School, Keene, NH.
- Maggio, L. M. (1984). Cognitive complexity: A further examination. Dissertation Abstracts International 451292.
- LaForte, J., Maggio, L. M., Sprung, S., Ruth, S., Doyle, M., Bannish, D. & Flaherty, P. (1983). Family therapy as a means of preventing psychiatric hospitalization of young adults. Paper presented at the Presenter’s Conference on Structural, Strategic and Systemic Family Therapy, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Maggio, L. M. (1981). Crisis shelters in the community: Forum for discussion. Panel discussion at Conference on Psychiatric Emergency Services in the Community, Sturbridge, MA
- Maggio, L. M. (1977). A multivariate approach to creativity. Unpublished master’s thesis, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio.