Albert Petitpas Faculty Profile
Albert J. Petitpas
Professor of Psychology
Director of the Springfield College Center for Youth Development and Research
Locklin Hall, Room 305G
BA, Bridgewater State University
MEd, Northeastern University
EdD, Boston University
Clinical and Research Interests:
My interests pertain to youth development through sport, career development, transitions, and the role of counseling in the application of sport psychology.
- Issues and Techniques in Counseling Athletes
- Lab in Counseling Athletes
- Principles of Counseling
- Career Development
- Petitpas, A., Van Raalte, J. L., Beachy, E., & Johnson, A. (in press). Four more years: Post-Olympic transitions and decisions. In Y. Zinchenko & J. Hanin (Eds.), Sport psychology on the way to the Olympic Games. Moscow, Russia: Lomonosov Moscow State University Press.
- Petitpas, A. , Van Raalte, J. L., & Brewer, B. W. (2013). Development and Current Status of Athlete Career Assistance Programs in the USA. In N. Stambulova & T. Ryba (Eds.), Athletes’ careers across cultures (pp. 222-234). East Sussex, England:/Routledge.
- Petitpas, A. J., Cornelius, A. E., Van Raalte, J. L., & Jones, T. (2005). A framework for planning youth sport programs that foster psychosocial development. The Sport Psychologist. 19, 63-80.
- Petitpas, A. J., Van Raalte, J. L., Cornelius, A., & Presbrey, J. (2004). A life skills development program for high school student-athletes. The Journal of Primary Prevention, 24, 325-334.
- Petitpas, A. J., Danish, S. J., & Giges B. (1999). The sport psychologist-athlete relationship: Implications for training. The Sport Psychologist, 13, 344-357.
- Petitpas, A., Buntrock, C., Van Raalte, J., & Brewer, B. (1995). Counseling athletes: A new specialty in counselor education. Counselor Education & Supervision, 34, 212-219.