Dr. Tracey Matthews, DPEDean, School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation
Office: ATES 203
Phone: (413) 748-3385
- Measurement and Evaluation for Exercise Science (Undergraduate)
- Research Methods for Athletic Training (Undergraduate)
- Research Methods (Graduate)
- Statistics (Graduate)
- Advanced Statistics (Graduate)
- Structural Equation Modeling (Graduate)
- Thesis and Dissertation Proposal Design(Graduate)
Tracey Dexter Matthews is professor and department chair in the Department of Exercise Science and Sport Studies. Matthews has served as research chair for the Eastern District Association of American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, and as measurement and evaluation chair of the Measurement and Evaluation Council (MEC) of American Association for Physical Activity and Recreation. In 2012, she received the honor award from the MEC. Matthews has presented nationally and regionally on topics including measurement and evaluation, assessment, grading, and mixed method research. She received a bachelor's of science from the University of Connecticut and a master's of science and doctorate of physical education from Springfield College.
- O'Neill, E., Kostelis, K., & Matthews, T. Physical Activity and Self-Efficacy in Physical Activity and Healthy Eating in an Urban Elementary Setting. Accepted for Free Communication at ACSM National meeting, 2014.
- Jaffe, D., Wood, R., Matthews, T., Thompson, B., & Headley, S. Effects of short-term macronutrient redistribution on strength in resistance trained males. Free Communication at ACSM National meeting, 2013.
- Richard, J., Germain, M., Milch, C., Matthews, T., Wood, R., Pescatello, L., & Headley, S. Visit-to-visit variability of blood pressure in CKD- A preliminary study. Free Communication at ACSM National meeting, 2013.
- Mertens, E., Chow, J., Matthews, T., & Paolone, V. Influence of the menstrual cycle phases on running. Free Communication at ACSM National meeting, 2013.
- Chow, J., Heikkinen, D., Mertens, E., Matthews, T., & Paolone, V. Effects of stretch shortening cycle warm-up on cycling performance in females. Free Communication at ACSM National meeting, 2013.
- Cholewa, J., Paolone, V., Wood, R., & Matthews, T. Betaine supplementation improves body composition and homocysteine thiolactone in strength trained men. Free Communication at ACSM National meeting, 2013.
- Blegen, M., Zavala, H., McGurran-Hanson, G., Shogren, S., Tal, A., Wansink, B., & Matthews, T. The influence of perceived exercise intensity on metabolism, caloric estimation, and optimism, and snack choice. Free Communication at ACSM National meeting, 2013.
- Ayvazian, L., Gregory, S., Schwarzkopf, C., Laro, B., Hatch, C., Edgerton, N., Coleman, G., Matthews, T., Headley, S., & Wood, R. Postprandial arterial stiffness in chronic kidney disease patients. Free Communication at NEACSM Meeting, 2012.
- Matthews, T., O'Neill, E., Kostelis, K., & Coughlin, C. Attitudes toward physical activity, eating habits, and physical activity level in urban elementary students. Free Communication at NEACSM Meeting, 2012."
- Kostelis, T. K., & Matthews, T. D. Authentic and Alternative Assessment. In T.A. Baumgartner, A. S. Jackson, M.T. Mahar, & D. A. Rowe. Measurement for evaluation in physical education and exercise science, 9th edition. Jones & Bartlett. Anticipated publication date 2015.
- Matthews, T.D., & Kostelis, T.K. (2011). Conducting research in health and human performance. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Cholewa, J. M., Wyszczelska-Rokiel, M., Glowacki, R., Jakubowski, H., Matthews, T., Wood, R., Craig, S., & Paolone, V. Effects of betaine on body composition, performance, and homocysteine thiolactone. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 10(1),39. doi: 10.1186/1550-2783-10-39.
- Sawyer, J. C., Wood, R., Davidson, P. W., Collins, S. M., Matthews, T., Gregory, S. M., & Paolone, V. J. (2013). Effects of a short-term carbohydrate restricted diet on strength and power performance. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 27(8), 2255-2262.
- Girman, J. C., Jones, M. T., Matthews, T. D., & Wood, R. J. (2013). Acute effects of a cluster-set protocol on hormonal, metabolic and performance measures in resistance-trained males. European Journal of Sport Science, 1-9.
- Ho, L-A, Wu, H-J., Matthews, T. D., Chiang, J., Lin, Y-J. (2012). Factor structure and correlates of functional fitness of older adults in Taiwan. International Journal of Gerontology, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijge.2012.11.009.
- Skidmore, B. L, Jones, M. T., Blegen, M., & Matthews, T. D. (2012). Acute effects of three different circuit weight training protocols on blood lactate, heart rate, and rate of perceived exertion in recreationally active women. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 11, 660-668.
- Blegen, M. D., Stenson, M. R., Micek, D. M., & Matthews, T. D. (2012). Motivational differences for participation amongst championship and non-championship caliber NCAA Division III football players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26(11), 2924-2928."