Mary Barnum, EdD
Mary Barnum, EdD
Associate Professor of Exercise Science and Sport Studies
Program Director of Athletic Training Program
Office: ATES 104
Phone: (413) 748-3763
- Introduction to Athletic Training
- Orthopedic Assessment and Diagnosis of Injuries to the lower extremity (lecture and lab)
- Orthopedic Assessment and Diagnosis of Injuries to the Hip, Spine and Upper Extremities (lab)
- Human Anatomy Lab
- Senior Seminar in Athletic Training
- Special Topics on Athletic Health Care (graduate course)
- Doctorate of Education
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass., 2005
- Master of Education
Athletic Injury Management, Springfield College, Springfield, Mass., 1990
- Bachelor of Science
Physical and Health Education, Concentration: Athletic Training East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C., 1987
- Associate of Science
Pre-sports Medicine, Chowan College, Murfreesboro, N.C., 1984
- Board Certified Athletic Trainer, 1987 Board of Certification, Inc.
- Licensed Athletic Trainer, 1987 Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Board of Allied Health Professions
- Clinical Instructor Educator, June 2003 National Athletic Trainers Association Education Council
- Healthcare Provider CPR/AED-Current
- Barnum, M. Guyer, S. (2013). SQF Model for Clinical Teaching: Key Note and Breakout. Invited speaker: The Teaching Conference. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburg, OH.
- Barnum M. Henning J. Sexton P. (2012). Supervised Autonomy, SQF Clinical Teaching Model and One Minute Preceptor. 63rd National Athletic Trainers Association Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposia. St. Louis, MO
- Barnum, M. Guyer, S. (2011). Concussion Update: From the field to the Emergency Department. Grand Rounds-Baystate Medical Department, Springfield, MA
- Barnum M. Carr D. (2011). Clinical Instructor Educator Workshop. Professional Education Committee-62nd National Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposia. New Orleans, LA
- Guyer S. Barnum M. Dodge T. et al. New tools for the ACI toolbox.63rd Annual Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association Clinical Symposium and Meeting (2011). Philadelphia Pa.
- Barnum M (2007). Providing Feedback on Written Assignments. 2007 Educators’ Summit. College of Mount St. Joseph. Cincinnati, OH.
- Barnum M, Guyer S (2007). Utilizing Strategic Questioning in Clinical Experiences: A Module for ACI Training Workshops. National Athletic Trainers’ Association Educators’ Conference, Workshop Presentation. Dallas, Tx
- Guyer S. Barnum M (2007). Facilitating Critical Thinking Skills in Athletic Training Students. 59th Annual Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association Clinical Symposium and Meeting. Boston, MA.
- Barnum M, Guyer S (2006). Strategic Questioning Skills for Clinical Instructors. 2006 Educators’ Summit, College of Mount St. Joseph, Cincinnati, OH.
- Barnum M, Guyer S, Levy L., (2006) A Practical Approach to Clinical Instruction Workshop 58th Annual Eastern Athletic Trainers Association Annual Meeting
- Gourlay L. Barnum M. Athletic Health Care and Recognizing Psychological Disorders: Part II-Management and Referral. Athl Thpy Tdy; 2011;16(3):13-18.
- Gourlay L. Barnum M. Athletic Health Care and Recognizing Psychological Disorders: Part I-Overview. Athl Thpy Tdy: 2010;15(6):15-18.
- Barnum M. Guyer S. Levy L. Graham C. “Supervision, Questioning, Feedback Model of Clinical Teaching: A Practical Approach” in Wiedner T. (ed) The Athletic Trainers’ Pocket Guide to Clinical Teaching (2009). SLACK, Inc: Thoroughfare NJ.
- Barnum M. Guyer S. Levy L. Willeford S. Sexton P. Gardner G. Fincher L. Questioning and Feedback in Clinical Athletic Training Education. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:23-27.
- Willeford S. Fincher L. Barnum M. Gardner G. Guyer S. Levy L. Sexton P. Improving Clinical Education Through Proper Supervision. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:6-7.
- Levy L. Sexton P. Willeford S. Barnum M. Guyer S. Gardner G. Fincher L. Clinical Instructor Characteristics, Behaviors, and Skills in Allied Health Care Settings: A Literature Review. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:8-13.
- Levy L. Gardner G. Barnum M. Willeford S. Sexton P. Guyer S. Fincher L. Situational Supervision for Athletic Training Clinical Education. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:19-22.
- Gardner G. Sexton P. Guyer S. Levy L. Willeford S. Barnum M. Fincher L. Clinical Instruction for Professional Practice. Athl Train Educ J: 2009;(4)1:28-31.
- Barnum M. Graham C. Techniques for Providing Feedback to Students on Written Assignments. Athl Thpy Tdy: 2008:13(5).2-5.
- Barnum M. Questioning skills demonstrated by Approved Clinical Instructors during field experiences. J Athl Train. 2008 May–Jun; 43(3): 284–292
- Barnum M. (2005) Dissertation: Understanding Clinical Instructional Strategies in Athletic Training. University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst MA.
- NATA Professional Education Committee, Chair-Master Preceptor Subcommittee, Oct 2012-present
- NATA Professional Education Committee, June 2011-Present
- NATA Clinical Instructor Educator Seminar Facilitator, June 2010-June 2012
- NATA Athletic Training Educator’s Conference Programming Committee, June 2010-June 2013
- NATA/EATA Research and Education Foundation Scholarship Committee-District I: 2010-2013
- NATA/EATA-Multimedia Educational Committee-District I Representative, 2005-2008
- ATOM (Athletic Trainers’ of Massachusetts)-Scholarship and Awards Committee-Western Massachusetts Representative, 2006-2013, Chair-2013-Current
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Athletic Therapy Today, June 2007-December 2011
- Reviewer, Journal of Athletic Training Education, September 2007-present
- Reviewer, International Journal of Athletic Therapy Today, August 2006-present
- Reviewer, Journal of Athletic Training, 2005-present
- Boston Marathon Volunteer: Medical Volunteer, 2007, 2006, 2005
- Massachusetts Baystate Senior Games Competition, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997